About One Spirit
Who We Are
One Spirit is a Native American service organization founded to assist and support American Indians. We are proud to think of our organization, One Spirit, as a group of people who exchange friendship with American Indians. At present, our focus are the Lakota Sioux in South Dakota. We invite you to become part of One Spirit’s network of sponsors, partners, friends and volunteers, to dream with the Lakota people a new dream - and to help the dreams come alive!
The One Spirit Mission is to assist the Lakota people in preserving and revitalizing the Lakota culture, language, and self-sufficiency while meeting the basic needs of Lakota families, children, and elders. We strive to cultivate an intercultural relationship that recognizes that we are all related and that American Indians are an equal and valued part of our society.
We Believe That:
- on planet Earth, we are all related.
- we can help break the cycle of poverty by strengthening families, promoting economic development and educational opportunities, and providing programs that bring hope to young Native Americans.
- programs that strengthen families and assist them in the protection of their children from the harsh effects of hunger and cold can change what has become a legacy of poverty and addiction.
- it is vitally important to support the elders in continuing their traditional roles of providing expertly crafted traditional clothing, quilting and beadwork that is a symbol of the tribe and teaching the skills for these crafts to younger generations.
- valuing their culture, their language, and their arts is a viable way for the Lakota people to be recognized, as a people, as a nation, as a culture. This recognition will give them a stronger voice to defend their struggles, value their own identity, and make changes from within that promotes self-sufficiency and leadership.
- our programs will help cultivate an intercultural relationship that recognizes that we are all ONE.