About ONE Spirit
Who We Are
ONE Spirit is a Native American service organization founded to assist and support American Indians. We are proud to think of our organization, ONE Spirit, as a group of people who exchange friendship with American Indians. At present, our focus are the Lakota Sioux in South Dakota. We invite you to become part of ONE Spirit’s network of sponsors, partners, friends and volunteers, to dream with the Lakota people a new dream - and to help the dreams come alive!
We help the Lakota meet their basic needs and provide a culturally rich life for their youth. Our programs promote an intercultural relationship that recognizes that we are all related and that American Indians are an equal and valued part of our society. The goal of all programs is to reduce or eliminate hunger, to replace the high drop out and suicide rates among youth with an enthusiasm for learning and a pride in their Lakota heritage, and to provide protection from the winter cold that can drop to 40 below zero.
We Believe That:
- on planet Earth, we are all related.
- we can help break the cycle of poverty by strengthening families, promoting economic development and educational opportunities, and providing programs that bring hope to young Native Americans.
- programs that strengthen families and assist them in the protection of their children from the harsh effects of hunger and cold can change what has become a legacy of poverty and addiction.
- it is vitally important to support the elders in continuing their traditional roles of providing expertly crafted traditional clothing, quilting and beadwork that is a symbol of the tribe and teaching the skills for these crafts to younger generations.
- valuing their culture, their language, and their arts is a viable way for the Lakota people to be recognized, as a people, as a nation, as a culture. This recognition will give them a stronger voice to defend their struggles, value their own identity, and make changes from within that promotes self-sufficiency and leadership.
- our programs will help cultivate an intercultural relationship that recognizes that we are all ONE.
ONE Spirit Leadership
|Administrative Assistant||Lisa Knouff|
|Assistant Director||Diane Capalario||603-622-7008|
|Programs Supervisor||Dusty Ruth||740-505-7370|
|Reservation Program Directors||Bamm Brewer||605-441-0885|
|Intake Coordinator||Dusty Ruth||740-505-7370|
|Contact Dusty Ruth for questions about sponsoring or to become a sponsor|
|Area Service Coordinators|
|Allen, Kyle||Trish Allen|
|Oglala Area, Red Shirt Area||Lisa Knouff|
|Pine Ridge (Town Area)||Mary Kerlin|
|Wounded Knee and Porcupine
|Reservation Manager||Bamm Brewer||605-441-0885|
|Reservation Project Assistant||Donnell Houx|
|Manager||Jennifer Nightbird Miller|
|Lakota Business Enterprises|
|Interim Manager||Jeri Baker||570-460-6567|
|Donor Services||Gail Perkins|
|Communication and Information System|
|Email Services||Vicky Millington|
|Catherine and Jean Louis Duclosemail@example.com|
People who sponsor the children, elders, and families come from all over the US as well as from England, France, Spain, Germany and Australia. Some sponsors are single individuals, some are families, and some are groups of people who combine their resources to be able to help. Some folks are able to sponsor a family and some sponsor one individual, either a child or elder. Some people provide a partial sponsorship. One of our senior sponsors shops for food bargains and sews children’s clothes, quilts and sleeping bags to send to families. Some groups knit and crochet and send the items to families who need them. Some people prefer to make a donation to the program, knowing that the money will be used to meet the urgent needs of the Lakota people. At present we have 500 sponsors. We also have over 600 children and elders waiting for sponsors.